Liberation from Excel limitations
Financial models can become extraordinarily complex – often each business unit or project has a sheet to itself involving over a thousand lines and many columns representing periods. In order to consolidate these source sheets, often adjusting for currencies or sensitivities, further sheets need to be created with formulae which reference the original sheets, and these, in turn, need to be summarised in the output sheets.
Such sheets are inherently difficult to audit. They are passed round from user to user, and any one user may inadvertently change either source data, or a formula, which might be buried in the input sheets with no possibility of easy detection. As the deadline approaches for a ‘final’ version of the sheet it moves around faster and is changed more, so, at the last moment, the possibility for error multiplies.
Azquo solves all the problems associated with Excel financial models while still allowing those generating the model to use all the Excel functionality they expect. If you want to create a model using Azquo, you create single spreadsheets representing each of the model functions – data input, sensitivity calculation, dashboard output etc. – which become templates. You put the templates online, where they can be accessed and downloaded by any user entitled to do so. Those entitled to enter data can either do so online, or on the downloaded sheet which they then upload, with no ability to adjust the template. And Azquo records who has made each change, when and where. The right button of the mouse will show all the sources of consolidated data, starting with the latest change. In short Azquo provides total audit on any data in the system.
Here are the advantages of using Azquo:
- Online/Offline interchangeable
- Fully auditable – recent changes can be highlighted
- Safe – users cannot change the templates
- Simple – many thousands of lines of formulae can be reduced to a handful
- Logical – no repetition of complex algorithms
- Easy to learn – uses existing spreadsheets and existing spreadsheet skills
- Flexible – new projects, business units, customers, loans, costs etc can be added at any time
- Powerful – different scenarios and sensitivities can be created simply and compared graphically
- Extensible – easy to add to any model, including ideas you did not have when you started the model
- Universal – the same modules can be used in many different modules without alteration.